The words frizzy hair and summer, go hand-in-hand.
Many women stress themselves (and their hair) out, by spending wasted time trying to get their hair to do things that mother nature never intended . . . but I must admit that even those of us who are professionals are guilty of it more often than I’d like to admit!
In an attempt to have smooth and shiny looking hair for some special summer soiree . . . we over-do it!
We go beyond the normal blow-drying, stretching- out, round brush styling and over–heating with curling irons or flat-irons, all in an attempt to fight the inevitable summer frizzy hair, which is the plight for so many of us who have curly hair.
End the war with your hair
Just slowly back away from the battle with your already overworked hair. Your hair needs a vacation now and then just like you do.
Try a little Zen with your hair . . . get out of the way and let its natural innate health work its magic.
Try these tips to tame curly frizzy summer hair, and give it a much needed break at the same time!
- Shampoo Less – Shampooing less often allows your own natural oils to condition the hair. Your own natural oils are mother nature’s natural frizzy hair remedy. Frequent shampooing strips your hair of these vital oils. Do a in-between normal shampooing and use sulfate-free shampoos.
- Condition More – Frizzy summer hair is caused by the exposure of dry hair to the humid summer air. Dry hair absorbs moisture from the air in humid weather, swelling the hair and making it frizz. Dry hair types need to moisturize their hair from the inside (by conditioning) to strengthen it and keep the cuticle closed and smooth. When the cuticle is smooth and closed it resists humidity, reducing frizz.
- Deep Condition More – A deep conditioning treatment once a week is one of your best defenses to ward off frizzy hair.
- Leave-In Conditioner – Use a leave-in conditioner for extra protection. It works great as a detangler and a sun protectant too. Use your fingers and a wide tooth comb after applying a leave-in conditioner to comb through wet hair.
- Air Dry– Blow dryers accentuate the frizz factor, especially in summer months. Give your blow dryer a vacation till fall.
Think of ways to style your hair that ‘goes with the flow’ and it will save you more time and headaches. Loose buns, braids and bushy ponytails are all chic looks now that curly haired girls can play-up this summer . . . so do the right things for your hair and relax, chill out . . . and let the cosmos have its way!
Get the latest blog posts straight to your inbox! Simply follow our blog by entering your email in the box on the right →